Saturday, July 10, 2010

From Paris to Verdun via Compiegne



Not my rental car - a World War I French R17





My rental car - a Peugeot 308 Diesel
I got up really early today to get , back to CDG to pick up the car - a Peugeot 308. I'm calling it Winnie (as in Winnie the Peu - something Neo should appreciate). After this came the quest for a gas station, as said beast came with only 15 litres of fuel. Two villages and a small town later, I finally came upon one before it ran dry. Who knew it was so hard to find gas stations in France? At least every gas station sells diesel.

That done, I set off for Verdun, but without a navigator I zigged when I should have zagged and found myself on the road to Senlis -- which is on the way to Compiegne, so why not go and see the place where the armastice was signed to end World War I. What the heck, with 36 degree weather it made sense to spend more time in an air-conditioned car.


I eventually made it to Verdun, but too late to get into any of the battle sites, so booked into a hotel and picked up a detailed local map to plan the next two days more thoroughly.

So where are today's pictures? Click here to see them.






No comments:

Post a Comment